Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkins, haunted houses, spiders, skeletons...


To start our pumpkin activities, we introduced adjectives by writing describing words on our pumpkin. 

 We also made predictions of how many seeds we thought were inside our pumpkin.


 We then took a vote using tally marks to decide what face we would like to carve on our pumpkin.



While separating the seeds from the 'pumpkin brains' (we liked to call it), we practiced our counting. We found that there were 519 seeds in our pumpkin! They were amazed! We also used our seeds to solve addition story problems. The students used their placemats to write their math addition sentences.



We had a great time with this guy! We will be writing stories about him soon...

Other Halloween activities that we did...
 We used our spelling words to write on our spider legs.  Before attaching the legs, we put them in ABC order.  *Not sure where this came from...not my idea!! 


We read In the Haunted House by Eve Bunting and discussed the adjectives throughout the story.  The students LOVED this story! They got really into it! After talking about the adjectives in the book, we made a chart of our own...



This next activity came from a blog somewhere out there in blogland. I'm not to sure who created it.  If you know, leave me a message so I can attach the link! But we used it to help us write descriptive words about what a haunted house might look like, sound like and feel like.  We highlighted the adjectives that we used.



Throughout the week we read Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler.  This is one of my favorite Halloween books to read each year.  This year, the students created their own skeleton and then wrote in response to a prompt. 
"To help Skeleton get rid of his hiccups I would have him 'scare himself'."


3 comments:

Liz said...

Love your Halloween activities. I really like the adjectives on the pumpkin. I will have to remember that for next year! :)

Christine said...

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas on this wonderful blog! I want to share the Sunshine Award with you! Check out my blog for the award button and the rules. Happy Monday!

Christine

hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com

Heather's Heart said...

I love your pumpkin adjectives ON the pumpkin! Too cute! I LOVE Law&Order:SVU too! I am your newest follower and think your blog is so great. I would love for you to come and follow me and grab *TONS* of *freebies*!

Post a Comment