Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Predicting, Sequence of Events, Labeling, Retelling...

--
The other day we ended up having a chunk of time open.  So we decided to do a quick mini lesson on Lucille Colandro's book, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves.  While reading, we focused on the sequence of events.  Some of my students were able to figure out that the old lady would sneeze out a scarecrow at the end.  But before I showed my them the last page, I had the students go back to their seats to illustrate their prediction of what they thought the last picture showed.  As they were drawing, I reread the story to them. We gathered back together and shared our predictions...

Then I showed my kiddos the last page to see if any of our friends were close.  They cracked up! After sharing our pictures, we decided to go back and label our pictures in the correct order.
We finished the lesson by practicing retelling the story together, and then to our neighbor, without looking at the book.  They did a great job!

2 comments:

Claire said...

Great idea! We've been doing lots of work on predicting and this fits perfectly into our fall theme right now. Thanks :)
-Claire @ specialspeckledeggs.blogspot.com

Janette said...

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing. :)

Post a Comment