Friday, August 19, 2011

Tired of Sticky Tack?

Well, I've been dragging myself into school to get some things done.  Being that our Open House is next week, I've been focusing on the setup of my room and hallway.  I am always reluctant to hang anything up in the hall because the majority of it will end up on the floor by the next morning.  Nothing would irritate me more than to walk in and find my hard work scattered all over the place.

And then my prayers were answered...

Someone (I don't remember exactly who) told me about the miracles of a hot glue gun! A few teachers in our building have been using hot glue to hang up materials for some time now.  Apparently, hot glue will hold anything to the wall without ruining the material or the paint on the wall!! It's amazing! I am ALSO relieved to spend my time doing other things than standing in the hall picking off sticky tack. (Sticky tack is not my friend.)  I needed to invest in a long extension cord but it was worth it!  So I wanted to share this with those who struggle with sticky tack, masking tape...etc.  I just put up a display outside my class.  I will let you know how long it stays up!! 

*Everything that I hung up so far has been laminated paper or cloth.  I have not tried to hang up regular paper with hot glue...yet.

8 comments:

Wanda Brown said...

Thank you so much. Last year, I gave up putting displays in the hall. There is no bulletin board for me and I tried every kind of tape out there. None of it worked. Each morning the kid's work would be on the floor. I am going to give it a try:)

sspeller said...

I have been putting up things with hot glue for as long as I can remember... the only problem if you glue up a regular piece of paper is that it will most likely tear when you remove it, but the hot glue (and torn bit of paper) will still peel right off the wall. Regular paper items just won't be able to be re-used...

CWimbish said...

Hey Sarah, Last year for Easter Mark actually bought me a cordless Hot Glue Gun (I know... strange present for Easter but it is what I wanted!) That would work too! Post pictures of your classroom! I want to see it!

Carrie

Anonymous said...

I am new to all this blogging and Pinterest and other wonderful things and could only figure out how to post here as "anonymous", but have taught for 20+ years. I have used hot glue for years! If you do need to put paper up, just make sure that you place a large enough square of clear packing tape or other similar barrier between the paper and the wall. If the hot glue is squirted just on the tape square, it should come down fine!
DeniseB

Sarah said...

Thank you so much for the idea of using packing tape!!! I will definitely do that! I'll be posting pictures of my classroom this week. Love, Sarah

Dee said...

A glue gun? I'm bowled over by that! Does it take off the paint? Wow! Guess I'll need to try it out! Have a super new year!
Dee
First Impressions

Anonymous said...

I wish they would sell that sticky snkt stuff that they use on new credit cards when they mail them. The stuff peels right off without making a mess or ripping the paper.

Anonymous said...

My previous post had a typo, I meant to write sticky snot stuff that you peel off the back of the credit card.

Post a Comment